Monday, October 8, 2012

3 weeks out!

Well, I think I can say the party's over.  Those good days I described in previous posts are now replaced with fatigue and fog.  The phrase that pops into my head is "putting the nose to the grindstone!"  The past two weeks have taken a strange but expected turn that most people have warned me about.  Fatigue, irritability, low brain function, and lack of motivation.  The symptoms I am experiencing now were the ones that went away along time ago when I decided to change how I ate.  It's amazing how important the role of food plays in how you feel!  Apparently this is all part of the process and at this point I'm trying real hard to stay in the moment and "enjoy" the process.

Food Todd changed my food last week, I am now "carb-cycling." I am on a 5 day rotation.  The first two days I eat 225gms protein and 25gms carbs, the third day I eat only 225 gms of protein and the last two days 180 gms protein and 75 gms carbs.  The first three days are the toughest, naturally!  25 grams of carbs is NOTHING and it took me about an hour trying to figure out spliting 50% of 25gms between breakfast and post workout and then splitting the remaining morsels between the other meals.  It sounds complicated and it somewhat was. By the third day (no carbs whatsoevery), I am shot... that's where the fatigue and low brain function come into play.

My current protein sources are tilapia, ground turkey breast (99% fat free), chicken breast and egg whites.  My carbs remain white & brown rice and yam.

Last week I started noticing some bloating so for one week I eliminated my sugar-free pancake syrup and diet soda.  THAT WAS HARD.... I had no pleasure food whatsoever! I still feel bloated and don't quite know the source yet.

Training I can only think of a couple words right now: IT SUCKS.  The fatigue and lack of motivation distract me from the joy I normally have when I walk into the gym.  I am weak and tired and push through every set and every repitition.

Last week I strained my low back doing stiff legged dead lifts.  Today (5 days later) I am much better after applying heat/ice on my back.  Sunday I dropped a 35 lb plate on my pinky.  I attribute these injuries to lack of focus and not paying close attention to what I amdoing.

My workout routine remains the same, and extra day of lunges on the treadmill.  Right now the main goal is hitting all of my muscle groups hard and keeping the muscle full and to the surface.

Competition Suit  Last Friday we headed to NUPARR to order our suits.  I ended up choosing a bright periwinkle blue suit.  I will go back this Friday for the fitting and order the "bling" (crystals).  It's hitting home that in less than 3 weeks I will be on stage showing all of my hard work!

October 7th: My Anniversary & My Grandson's birthday So yesterday my husband and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary and our grandson Ravi's first birthday.  This was a very tough day.  It's not every day that you acheive these two milestones and on the same day.  The party for Ravi was held in Saroj and Ramesh's backyard (my son-in-law's parent's house).  The weather was absolutely beautiful, the backyard decorated with first birthday "everything."  I wanted so bad to eat the wonderful cake and the fantastic food that Ramesh and Saroj put together.  I had moments of strong temptation to eat the pita chips, tortilla chips and the fresh cilantro jalepeno hummus.  Oh an not to mention Saroj's exquisite potato salad, one of my all time favorite foods.  I struggled the entire evening.  I did lick the frosting in honor of Ravi - I don't think that will set me back too far!


 



So I have finally noticed some significant changes in my physique.  I am excited to show you the changes!
 
 
 



 
 



 

 Today as I finish this blog I remind myself that why I am doing this.  I want to learn about self-discipline, grow through "not caring so much about what people think of me" and just feel connected to myself in a new way.  Is doing a figure competition the best way to accomplish this?  Up to this point my answer is most definitely a YES.  I needed a goal that would push me to stay strong and finish the race! 

What goals do you have, if any?  Are they acheivable? Realistic?

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment